I've been evaluating Hudson, and it looks great! There was just one area that
left me quite bewildered until I worked out what was going on, so I thought I
would propose some minor GUI changes that might make things a little clearer.
First, I added a new job to build a simple single-module Maven 2 project. I then
built the project, and had to play about with the goals that were being
executed. I changed the goals, then found they didn't build as expected. I went
back to the configuration, and it appeared to have lost my changes. And I got
confused by the fact that sometimes when I went into the configuration, some of
the options seemed to be missing.
OK, I finally worked out that when you add a Maven project, it creates a
top-level job to build the project as a whole, then a sub-entry to build each
module. You can specify a different goal when executing the project as a whole
and when executing an individual module, if I understand correctly.
In hindsight this is reasonably obvious, but I hadn't noticed the different
levels in the breadcrumb, and it did confuse me for a while. I would suggest the
following the changes to the GUI:
- For single module Maven projects, do not create sub-entries if there is only
- If there are sub-entries for each module, clearly label them. For example, at
the moment both would be labeled as "Project MyProject", instead of "Project
MyProject" and "Module MyProject::MyProject" or something similar. You could
take this further and clearly label each of the actions/configuration pages
(e.g. "Project Configuration" vs. "Module Configuration".
I hope you find these suggestions constructive..!
|Field||Original Value||New Value|
|Status||Open [ 1 ]||In Progress [ 3 ]|
|Component/s||maven-plugin [ 16033 ]|
|Component/s||maven2 [ 15487 ]|
|Workflow||JNJira [ 130575 ]||JNJira + In-Review [ 185290 ]|