Uploaded image for project: 'Jenkins'
  1. Jenkins
  2. JENKINS-64453

tool step has no output when the tool doesn't exist

    XMLWordPrintable

    Details

    • Type: Bug
    • Status: Open (View Workflow)
    • Priority: Minor
    • Resolution: Unresolved
    • Component/s: pipeline
    • Labels:
      None
    • Environment:
      Jenkins 2.249.3, workflow-basic-steps 2.22
    • Similar Issues:

      Description

      There is no output for a failed tool step when the name of the tool is wrong.

      Relevant excerpt (the third tool doesn't exist):

      [Pipeline] tool
      [Pipeline] tool
      [Pipeline] tool
      [Pipeline] }
      [Pipeline] // dir
      [Pipeline] }
      [Pipeline] // node
      [Pipeline] }
      Failed in branch parallel-whatever 

      The step log at …/execution/node/269/log/ is completely empty.

      The code looks like that shouldn't be happening, but it does.

        Attachments

          Activity

          danielbeck Daniel Beck created issue -
          Hide
          dnusbaum Devin Nusbaum added a comment -

          The tool step attempts to log a warning if it does not find a matching tool, see this code. Perhaps the tool name was fine in your case and the problem was with the implementation of NodeSpecific.forNode or EnvironmentSpecific.forEnvironment? Or does that code in the tool step not work, or something else?

          Show
          dnusbaum Devin Nusbaum added a comment - The tool step attempts to log a warning if it does not find a matching tool, see this code . Perhaps the tool name was fine in your case and the problem was with the implementation of NodeSpecific.forNode or EnvironmentSpecific.forEnvironment ? Or does that code in the tool step not work, or something else?
          Hide
          danielbeck Daniel Beck added a comment -

          Nope, I wrote jdk8 and it's jdk-8.

          I think the problem is that the exception is propagated up and will only be actually logged (once) at the end of the build, when elsewhere in the log it's just a

          Failed in branch parallel-branch-name 

          with no further details, and, as I noted above, no log in the individual failed step.

          It seems to me that (some) redundancy here would be useful to make (short) errors more easily discoverable, but that may be my bias as the person who missed this for weeks now.

          Show
          danielbeck Daniel Beck added a comment - Nope, I wrote jdk8 and it's jdk-8 . I think the problem is that the exception is propagated up and will only be actually logged (once) at the end of the build, when elsewhere in the log it's just a Failed in branch parallel-branch-name with no further details, and, as I noted above, no log in the individual failed step. It seems to me that (some) redundancy here would be useful to make (short) errors more easily discoverable, but that may be my bias as the person who missed this for weeks now.
          Hide
          jglick Jesse Glick added a comment -

          The No … named … found message would normally be the build-terminating error and thus would appear as the last line of the build log. It is not supposed to appear in step logs.

          Show
          jglick Jesse Glick added a comment - The No … named … found message would normally be the build-terminating error and thus would appear as the last line of the build log. It is not supposed to appear in step logs.

            People

            Assignee:
            Unassigned Unassigned
            Reporter:
            danielbeck Daniel Beck
            Votes:
            0 Vote for this issue
            Watchers:
            3 Start watching this issue

              Dates

              Created:
              Updated: