It's great that "General Build Step" can handle most of the existing plugins (after small adjustments). However, it seems (JENKINS-36933) there is no way to set a custom label for those steps. As a result in a situation there is a bunch of general steps (or shell steps) in a stage the output is not very readable.
Sample user case. In "Deploy to test" stage there is a need to:
- deploy collaborators (or stubs) (Rundeck - general step)
- deploy µservise (Rundeck)
- run acceptance tests (Gradle -> shell step)
- deploy the previous version (Rundeck)
- run acceptance tests for old version - to check rollback opportunity (Gradle)
In some stages we have 8+ steps. A mix of "General Build Step" and "Shell Script" is not very verbose. An ability to name it meaningful would be really useful.
Btw, the issue occurs in both Stage View and Blue Ocean, so I chose the pipeline component as a generic one.