Status: In Progress (View Workflow)
Agent terminology cleanup
"slave" terminology was deprecated in Jenkins 2.0, but there are still occurrences in Jenkins Plugins and documentation: https://github.com/search?q=org%3Ajenkinsci+slave&type=Code. We need to clean it up. This EPIC keeps a track of missing renaming when we occasionally notice them.
There are many areas where anyone could help, deep Jenkins expertise is not required
- Cleanup plugin built-in documentation and documentation in Jenkins repositories
- GitHub Query: https://github.com/search?q=org%3Ajenkinsci+slave&type=Code
- If you work on these tasks, in the most of the cases you can just use GitHub web interface to edit files and submit pull requests.
- Newcomer-friendly tasks in this EPIC: https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/issues/?jql=labels%20%3D%20newbie-friendly%20and%20%22Epic%20Link%22%20%3D%20JENKINS-42816
- Report issues. If you see something in the Jenkins UI or on our website, please do not hesitate to report it
- Jenkins core and components: Jenkins Jira or GitHub Issues, depending on a component. If you report issues in Jira, please reference the JENKINS-42816 EPIC there
- jenkins.io website: https://github.com/jenkins-infra/jenkins.io/issues
- Jenkins Documentation (jenkins.io, plugin docs, etc.)
- Built-in plugin documentation and Web UI
- Localization files - "slave" equvalents in other languages
- 3rd-party blogposts
- Any code which is not a part of public AP or persistence modeI: private methods, local variables, comments, etc.
Non-trivial changes which may impact compatibility:
- Plugin Names
- REST API endpoints
- Symbols for JCasC/JobDSL/Pipeline
- Class Names and API where feasible (Retaining binary compatibility may require a massive effort)
- Library and module names
- Plugin labels and filters
- is related to
JENKINS-51320 Comb through text in base Jenkins and complete changes of "slave" to "agent"
JENKINS-31095 2.0: Jenkins terminology sweep
- relates to
JENKINS-65398 Terminology update for master, whitelist, blacklist
- links to